Civic Administration Building
Phone: (06) 871 5000
Fax: (06) 871 5100
M I N U T E S
Hastings District Youth Council
Wednesday, 6 June 2018
Minutes of a Meeting of the Hastings District Youth Council held on
6 June 2018 at 3.45pm
Table of Contents
Item Page No.
HASTINGS DISTRICT COUNCIL
MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE Hastings District Youth Council
HELD IN THE Landmarks Room, Ground Floor, Civic Administration Building, Lyndon Road East, Hastings ON
Wednesday, 6 June 2018 AT 3.45pm
Present: Chair: Ella Hoogerbrug, (Havelock North)
Kate Allen, Caroline Jones, Hena Dugh and Emilee Scarborough (HGHS); Cameron Young (Deputy Chair), Abigail Masengi and Hope McCleland (Karamu High); Gurjas Sekhon and Oscar Malpas (HBHS); Xinyi Chen (Iona); Charlotte Frogley (Woodford); Max Sharp (EIT); and Eleanor Matich
IN ATTENDANCE: Youth Co-ordinator (Ryan Gardiner)
Team Leader Youth Development (Paddy Steffert)
Committee Secretary (Annette Murdoch)
That apologies for absence from Councillor Dixon, Pelerose Vaima’a, Rytasha Sekhon, Samantha Anderson, Connor Molloy, Cairo Smith and Matekairoa Butler be accepted.
2. Confirmation of Minutes
That the minutes of the Hastings Youth Council Meeting held Wednesday 2 May 2018 be confirmed as a true and correct record and be adopted.
3. Facebook page updates
· Advertising on Facebook for the Youth Potential Awards would be beneficial.
· To post on Facebook when the university open days are being held – to advise Ella when dates are known.
Youth Council Annual Plan
· Work groups update – Charlotte Frogley tabled the Youth Council’s letter that will go out to businesses requesting financial assistance for grants to support youth trips, tuition, events and conferences.
A spreadsheet needs to be completed stating the amounts and how the money will be distributed. Money will be coded to the Youth Council budget. After discussion it was decided to keep the amounts open and it was up to the businesses to decide on what they were prepared to donate.
· Harcourt’s Night Market being held next Thursday night – would be good to have a Youth stall present to advertise the Youth Grants and the work Youth Councillors do in the community. A small group of Youth Councillors to attend to meet and greet people.
· Skate Park competition – it was agreed to run a Basketball Tournament rather than a skate park competition. New courts had been completed in Camberley and would be ideal for a tournament. To allocate the money from the skate park competition to a basketball tournament. Money raised from the tournament will go towards Youth Grants.
· Paddy Steffert to facilitate with Ella to lead and Cameron, Kate, Gurjas, Max, Ellie and Emilee to assist. Basketball meeting to be held Wednesday 13 June at 3.45pm, Ryan to organise a room. Paddy to liaise with the basketball academy regarding partnership of the tournament. Possible date for the tournament was the Friday before or the first Saturday of the July holidays.
· Colour Run – scheduled for 22 September 2018. Directions Youth Health Centre has been chosen as the charity for the colour run. Youth Council organising group to meet with Billy of Directions. Paddy advised to be clear on the details on how the money will be utilised by the charity and to check on the charitable status if the organisation.
That the report of the Youth Co-ordinator titled “Youth Council Annual Plan”
dated 6 June 2018 be received.
4. General Business
· To watch out for the Amazing Face Race details.
· Ryan advised that Zeal were going to run a free Event Management Course.
· Festival for the Future – potential funding for travel and accommodation for approximately 6 people to attend 27-29 July in Wellington. Convention is for aspiring leaders, Ryan to send members the link and to check on the eligibility of Youth Councillors attending, as there may be an age limit of 18 years and over.
· Youth Potential Awards 2018 flyers distributed at the meeting.
· Attending the July Youth Council meeting will be representatives from the Hawke’s Bay District Health Board to present on mental health.
· The business letter to be checked by Council’s Communications Team prior to being distributed.
The meeting closed at 4.50pm