Hastings District Youth Council

Civic Administration Building

Lyndon Road East, Hastings 4156

Phone:  (06) 871 5000

Fax:  (06) 871 5100














Hastings District Youth Council




Meeting Date:

Wednesday, 12 June 2019


CG-14-33-00139                                                                         1

Minutes of a Meeting of the Hastings District Youth Council held on

12 June 2019 at 3.45pm


Table of Contents


Item                                                                                    Page No.


1.         Apologies  1

2.         Confirmation of Minutes  1

3.         Facebook page updates  1

4.         General Business  2

5.         Youth Potential Awards  2

6.         June 2019 report on Hastings District Youth Council activities  3



CG-14-33-00139                                                                         1




MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE Hastings District Youth Council

HELD IN THE Landmarks Room, Ground Floor, Civic Administration Building, Lyndon Road East, Hastings ON

 Wednesday, 12 June 2019 AT 3.45pm



Present:                          Chair: Kate Allen (HGHS)

                                               Councillor Dixon – Council Liaison

                                               Pelerose Vaima’a and Kathleen Steffert (HGHS); Ondre Hapuku-Lambert, Sophie Jones (Media Engagement) and Boston Wynyard (Karamu High); Gurjas Sekhon and Louis Gaffaney (St Johns College); Oscar Malpas (HBHS); Daisy Hill (Iona); Ashleigh Keenan (Sacred Heart); Janicka Tei (Taradale High) and James McPhail (Media Engagement) (Lindisfarne College)



IN ATTENDANCE:             Youth Development Coordinator (Angela Hughes)

                                               Team Leader Youth Development (Paddy Steffert)

                                               Committee Secretary (Carolyn Hunt)



1.         Apologies   


Sophie Jones/Ashleigh Keenan

That apologies for absence from Eva Harper, Charliot Miller and an apology for lateness Councillor Dixon be accepted.



2.         Confirmation of Minutes


Gurjas Sekhon/Ondre Hapuku-Lambert

That the minutes of the Hastings Youth Council Meeting held Wednesday 8 May 2019 be confirmed as a true and correct record and be adopted.



3.         Facebook page updates


Sophie Jones referred to her monthly report (CG-14-33-00140) and advised that there had been a lot of page views, visiting and lot of action.  However, as a lot of schools had already “liked” the page the number of “likes” had not increased a lot.

Councillor Dixon joined the meeting at 3.50pm




4.         General Business


There was no General Business items.



Youth Potential Awards

(Document 19/535)



The Team Leader Youth Development, Paddy Steffert sought feedback from the Youth Council in regard to whether or not they wished to pursue having the Youth Potential Awards. 


The purpose of the Youth Potential Awards was to acknowledge young people who experienced adversity in their daily lives but continued to stay engaged in the system.  The Youth Potential Awards was scheduled for 11 September 2019 and Her Worship the Mayor would be present.  Paddy advised that recipients were given a $50.00 voucher with their award.


Criteria for nominations are:

·         Be part of a Youth Provider programme or service and/or currently attending school.

·         Reside in the Hastings district or be a Hastings based resident.

·         Be aged between 13 and 19 years.


The role of the Youth Council on the night was to:

·         Welcome and greet visitors.

·         Escort them into the Council Chambers.

·         Members of the Youth Council introduce themselves.

·         Two members of the Youth Council MC the awards.


Feedback at the meeting included:

·         Write letter to secondary schools with criteria and nominate person trying to achieve through adverse circumstances.

·         Have guest speaker that young people can relate to.

·         Reduce the weakness and criteria so when selected post incentive to say they are getting more than an acknowledgement.

·         Not a requirement to speak as recipients, but encourage them to say something.

·         Offer transport to attend.

·         Follow up with nominator and nominee to ensure they can attend.

·         Purpose behind the event is good and community based.

·         To have Awards more often would detract from its significance.

·         If school wish to nominate other students during the year Council officer meet with person/s to acknowledge their achievement and maybe give a $20.00 voucher.


When nominations are received Paddy asked that if any Youth Council member would like to have input into the selection process, please email Ange Hughes.


Sophie Jones/Kathleen Steffert

That the report of the Team Leader Youth Development titled “Youth Potential Awards” dated 12/06/19 be received.




June 2019 report on Hastings District Youth Council activities

(Document 19/526)



The Youth Development Co-ordinator, Angela Hughes updated the Youth Council on activities since the May 2019 Hastings Youth Council meeting.



Youth Week 17-26 May 2019

·      It was agreed that the  review of the Youth Week Programme be held Wednesday, 19 June 2019 at  4.00pm-5.00pm.

·      Ange to email and confirm venue.



Youth Council Logo

·      Currently still with the designer.

·      New logo options will be reviewed at the July meeting.



Albert Square Redesign – The Parks and Public Spaces Manager, Rachel Stuart gave a powerpoint presentation (PRJ17-140-0110) at the last Youth Council meeting of 8 May 2019.  To date she has not received any feedback from members.


Ange emphasised the need for feedback from members if they wanted to have input into the design otherwise it would go ahead without their input.  Circulated at the meeting (CG-14-33-00141) was a copy of previous slides presented.


Feedback included:

·         Seating including bench seats with planters.

·         Community garden – planter boxes that double up as seats.

·         One or two converted containers to create indoor space, bean bags, charge devices, lighting and heat. 

·         Container whereby wall can be lifted up to provide shade and pulled down for warmth.

·         Permanent container with lighting and have tables and chairs and can put up whatever information on boards.

·         Vision is to make space that is predominately for use of young people.

·         Free wifi.

·         Hammocks and solar wifi trees – durable that can remain outside.

·         Designed in such a way that you would see space is activated.

·         Instagram wall.

·         Drinking fountain.


Email three suggestions from each representative to Ange by Monday, 17 June 2019 and include any pictures of parks or ideas you think could be included in the design.



1737 Phone and Text Helpline – Feedback included:

·         Post shared on Facebook about 1737 spreading awareness that there is a crisis worker available for immediate response.

·         Many have contacted 1737 and put on hold and have waited for hours for a response.

·         Not effective for those in need of desperate help.

·         Why promote 1737 when service is not delivering what it is supposed to.

·         Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern in April asked that Government be accountable and it was suggested that a letter be sent to her to address concerns that 1737 has been under  resourced.

·         Prefects wearing 1737 badges - Great schools promoting but they are feeding the problem.

·         Want more resource and want to be able to call and get immediate help.

·         Create a letter to Zoe Parlevliet from 1737 that expresses the concerns of the Youth Council and request statistics to instigate a reply.

·         Following investigation on statistics and gathering information formulate a letter to Jacinda Ardern.


Daisy Hill will raise the issue of 1737 at the Hawke’s Bay Health Consumer Council meeting on 9 May 2019 and provide feedback.


Ange will contact Zoe Parlevliet, from 1737 and have initial discussion about service and concerns and advise Youth Council of the outcome of the conversation.


Ange will lodge a request for statistics under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 (LGOIMA).



2019 Youth Council Annual Plan

·         World Refugee Day, 20 June 2019 – do a media campaign.

·         International Youth Day, 12 August 2019

-          activate CBD for youth to attend

-          contact schools to have mufti day

·         Have one large event rather than a lot of little events.

·         Contact schools in regard to what they would like to participate in.  Ange work with Charli and Kate to write a letter.


The Youth Council’s Annual Plan would be continually updated and included on the agenda for each of the meetings this year.



Monthly Reports – The following monthly activity reports (CG-14-33-00140) were tabled at the meeting from Youth Council members:


·         Ondre Hapuku-Lambert

·          Charliot Miller

·         Pelerose Vaima’a

·          Ashleigh Keenan

·         Janicka Tei

·          James McPhail

·         Kate Allen

·          Sophie Jones



Mr Hapuku-Lambert/Miss Wynyard

A)        That the report of the Youth Development Co-ordinator titled June 2019 report on Hastings District Youth Council activities dated 12/06/2019 be received.

B)        That the Hastings Youth Council takes part in the 2019 Youth Week programme review workshop to be held on 19 June 2019.

C)        That the Hastings Youth Council continues to work with and provide feedback to Rachel Stuart regarding the redesign of Albert Square.

D)        That the Hastings Youth Council discusses the issues of mental health services for teenagers in response to the 1737 issues and the 2019 Wellbeing Budget and votes on a path forward to address these issues as a group.





The meeting closed at 5.20pm